Sunday, February 12, 2012

A DREAM COME TRUE

My friend Sonia stopped in for a visit on Super Bowl Sunday.  She was travelling from Florida to Massachusetts, and she wanted to come see some old familiar sites, as it's been a while since she left the area.  It was really nice to see her, and we had a great time catching up with each other.

After the initial meet-and-greet in my kitchen, we moved into the living room by way of the dining room.  Sonia noticed the three very full bookcases at the end of the dining room and asked about them. 

"Those are the books I have listed for sale on amazon.com," I replied.

This huge grin lit up her face, and she said, "You finally got your bookstore!"

I was dumbfounded.  All this time I've been picturing my dream of owning my own bookstore as a building with bricks and mortar, feeling sorry for myself for not having achieved it when it had already come true, and I simply never recognized it.  I have got my bookstore, just not in the way I imagined it would be.

How many times has God answered my prayers or granted my wishes and I didn't see it because I was too focused on how I thought things should be?  How many signs have I missed because my eyes were blind to anything other than my vision? 

I'm trying to see the world with new eyes now, with an open heart and a listening spirit.

My dream has already come true.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What a great post! Isn't it amazing how God opens our eyes sometimes in the most unexpected ways?

Mellanie C. said...

Absolutely! It was such a jaw-dropping moment for me. And then I came home from a school fundraiser this evening to find I have two book orders. My store is alive and well!